Thai Language Courses at Effective Thai
Effective Thai is designed for students to learn the Thai language the way people learn their first language by directly associating words (written and spoken, read and heard) with objects, actions and ideas that convey meaning. Translation alone is sorely inadequate, and can be quite misleading in terms of lived language use. At Effective Thai, grammar, syntax and vocabulary are taught through real life examples.
Goals of Effective Thai
Customized Thai Courses
Note that while we offer structured Thai courses, for 1-to-1 instruction there is significant latitude for customization. Most of our students continue to take courses and develop their language fluency over months and years.
Thai Language Foundations A (100 Lessons)
This course is designed for students who have little or no knowledge of Thai. It consists of an intensive study of spoken Thai with emphasis on communication skills. Regular field trips and cultural activities will supplement the course material. A cultural trip/activity will supplement the course material.
Learning Outcomes for Thai Language Foundations A
Students will be able to communicate through listening and speaking and maintain very simple exchanges in the basic themes of everyday life situations, e.g. greetings, meeting people, buying things, ordering food, asking directions, telling time, etc.
Thai Language Foundations B (100 Lessons)
This course is an introduction to Thai writing and reading. It can be taken concurrently with Cool Thai I and Cool Thai II and is prerequisite for students who wish to proceed to the Thai on the Rocks module. It can also be taken as a separate course by students who already have spoken proficiency in Thai.
Learning Outcomes for Thai Language Foundations B
Students will be able to recognize and understand familiar topics in short simple stories. In writing, students will be able to write basic factual information about familiar things in simple sentences.
Elementary Thai (100 Lessons)
This course consolidates communication skills with an emphasis on reading. Different types of discourse will be studied through a variety of Thai language media. Field trips and attendance at community cultural activities will comprise an additional 1 lesson per week as an assessable assignment.
Learning Outcomes for Elementary Thai
- Students will be able to communicate through listening and speaking in face to face conversations with people and on the telephone.
- They will also be able to describe familiar things, convey their own opinions fairly precisely.
- Students will be able to get the main ideas from simple TV and radio news on general topics.
- Students will be able to read and write simple texts on familiar topics.
- They will be able to write a letter to express their own opinions on basic services (e.g. hospital) and convey such things fairly precisely.
Intermediate Thai (100 Lessons)
This course consolidates and further develops knowledge and skills in oral and written Thai. The course is intended to equip students with resources to identify speech registers and to analyze discourse types. Field trips and attendance at community cultural activities will comprise the additional lesson per week as an assessable assignment.
Learning Outcomes for Intermediate Thai
- Students will be able to understand and follow a conversation and to communicate in fairly complex and abstract topics such as political events.
- They will be able to understand the main points from TV and radio news stories, interviews, speak and take part in conversations on fairly complex, abstract things, and use a range of words to convey the same meanings.
- Students will be able to read general news stories in newspapers and semi-technical texts in familiar fields and read short novels.
- They will be able to write and discuss fairly abstract and complex things, although with some mistakes, and they may still need to use a dictionary to convey the message.
Advanced Thai I (100 Lessons) – Advanced Thai II (100 Lessons)
These advanced courses can be focused on speaking and listening, or reading and writing, or both.
Professional Speaking and Thai Conversation
Students will practice having conversations on a variety of topics including intensive discussion, business presentation, opinion and feeling expressions. It will be tailor-made for students to achieve their goals. Students will learn Thai advanced level words and phrases used in specific ways such as exclamations, complex conjunctions and prepositions, royal and buddhist words and phrases, and complex slang and idioms.
Thai Literature and Literate Culture
Thai cultural, traditional, and historical issues are taught via Thai language. Students will have a chance to experience some parts of well-known Thai literature, which generate many Thai proverbs and idioms. Thai lessons will give students insight of Thai culture, society and values especially in the past. Complex papers such as academic articles, research, agreements, and legal documents are used to increase the student’s reading skill capability. Students will learn and practice to write different kind of complex writing.
Learning Outcomes for Advanced Thai I and II (100 Lessons each)
- Students will practice having conversations on different topics for deeper discussion, business presentation and opinion expression.
- The lesson will provide special words and phrases used in specific ways such as exclamations, conjunctions and prepositions, royal/buddhist words and phrases, as well as complex slang and idioms.
- Learning language and culture are parallel. As you learn Thai culture, the logic of Thai language will become more apparent.
- The lessons will explain vital Thai history and interesting Thai traditions.
- Students will have a chance to enhance their experience into some parts of well-known Thai literature, which generate many Thai proverbs and idioms. Thai lesson will give students insight into Thai culture, society and values especially in the past.
- Students will read complex papers such as agreements, contracts, laws, etc.
- Students will gain knowledge of and practice writing complex papers such as drafting an agreements, contracts, or any documents related to business.
- Greetings in Business & Foreign Languages used in Modern Thai language
- Business introduction
- Occupations, Jobs, Job Description, and Responsibilities
- Products and Services Explanation
- Products and Services Comparison
- How to Explain Process in Business
- Reporting and Presentation
- IT Jargon in Thai Language
- Chatting at the Office
- Leaving a message & Memo
- Business Email in Thai Language
- Making an Appointment
- Essential Abbreviation in Business
- Business Meetings
- Effective Thai and Business Negotiation Strategies
- Talking about Money and Payments
- Effective Idioms and Appropriate Casual Thai Language used in Business
- Thai Language for Good Relationships in Business
- Nursery Rhymes in Thai
- Phonics of 44 Thai Consonants
- Thai Alphabet sounds and songs
- Fun Stories Reading with Thai Alphabet and Handwriting Practice
- Basic Vowels and Words
- Conversation for Children for Everyday Used
- Story Telling in Thai
- Basic Thai Writing
- Mixed Vowels Stories and Reading Comprehension
- Specific Names
- Questions and Answers for Children
- Listening Comprehension for Children
Thai Language Placement Test
All new students complete a Thai placement test to ascertain their appropriate study level. Of the four skills used in learning languages — speaking, listening, reading, and writing — any of the skills that have been employed more than others will be stronger than those used less. Therefore, courses are designed to fix the weak skills and enhance the strong ones at the same time.
For example, a student may be able to speak Thai fluently but has weak written Thai reading and writing skills. This student may choose between:
- Thai Language Foundations B, which prepares the student in reading and writing skills
- Intermediate Thai for listening and speaking skills
Our Thai lessons are taught by professional Thai teachers who speak English very well. All teachers are friendly and very supportive. If you have problems with any aspect Thai language outside the class, please feel free to contact us for any kind of support.
Effective Thai is licensed and meets international quality standards
Small Group Thai Language Classes
Our Small Group language classes are much more effective than larger classes of 10 students or more, common at other Thai Language schools. Great for families or friends who want to study together.