Effective Thai is designed for students to learn the Thai language the way people learn their first language by directly associating words (written and spoken, read and heard) with objects, actions and ideas that convey meaning. Translation alone is sorely inadequate, and can be quite misleading in terms of lived language use. At Effective Thai, grammar, syntax and vocabulary are taught through real life examples.
Goals of Effective Thai
- To help the student learn the Thai language quickly, easily, and correctly
- To equip the student with the strategies and confidence that will aid their understanding and communication in the real world
Customized Thai Courses
Note that while we offer structured Thai courses, for 1-to-1 instruction there is significant latitude for customization. Most of our students continue to take courses and develop their language fluency over months and years.
Thai Language Starter Course
Introduction to Thai Language Instruction at Effective Thai (25 Lessons)
This course is for those students who wish to have a short course as a starter course to make sure that they will have a good fit with our school and our teachers. We begin with the Thai Language Placement Test (see below) and structure the course as is best for the student. It is possible to begin a starter course as a group. We can add names to a reservation list to begin when there is a minimum number of students interested (2-6 students are required for the small-group tuition rate).
Thai Language Foundations A
Initial communicative skills with cultural awareness (100 Lessons)
This course is designed for students who have little or no knowledge of Thai. It consists of an intensive study of spoken Thai with emphasis on communication skills. Regular field trips and cultural activities will supplement the course material. A cultural trip/activity will supplement the course material.
Learning Outcomes for Thai Language Foundations A
- Students will be able to communicate through listening and speaking and maintain very simple exchanges in the basic themes of everyday life situations, e.g. greetings, meeting people, buying things, ordering food, asking directions, telling time, etc.
Thai Language Foundations B
An introduction to reading and writing skills (100 Lessons)
This course is an introduction to Thai writing and reading. It can be taken concurrently with Cool Thai I and Cool Thai II and is prerequisite for students who wish to proceed to the Thai on the Rocks module. It can also be taken as a separate course by students who already have spoken proficiency in Thai.
Learning Outcomes for Thai Language Foundations B
Students will be able to recognize and understand familiar topics in short simple stories. In writing, students will be able to write basic factual information about familiar things in simple sentences.
Elementary Thai (100 Lessons)
This course consolidates communication skills with an emphasis on reading. Different types of discourse will be studied through a variety of Thai language media. Field trips and attendance at community cultural activities will comprise an additional 1 lesson per week as an assessable assignment.
Learning Outcomes for Elementary Thai
- Students will be able to communicate through listening and speaking in face to face conversations with people and on the telephone.
- They will also be able to describe familiar things, convey their own opinions fairly precisely.
- Students will be able to get the main ideas from simple TV and radio news on general topics.
- Students will be able to read and write simple texts on familiar topics.
- They will be able to write a letter to express their own opinions on basic services (e.g. hospital) and convey such things fairly precisely.
Intermediate Thai (100 Lessons)
This course consolidates and further develops knowledge and skills in oral and written Thai. The course is intended to equip students with resources to identify speech registers and to analyze discourse types. Field trips and attendance at community cultural activities will comprise the additional lesson per week as an assessable assignment.
Learning Outcomes for Intermediate Thai
- Students will be able to understand and follow a conversation and to communicate in fairly complex and abstract topics such as political events.
- They will be able to understand the main points from TV and radio news stories, interviews, speak and take part in conversations on fairly complex, abstract things, and use a range of words to convey the same meanings.
- Students will be able to read general news stories in newspapers and semi-technical texts in familiar fields and read short novels.
- They will be able to write and discuss fairly abstract and complex things, although with some mistakes, and they may still need to use a dictionary to convey the message.
Advanced Thai I (25 Lessons) – Advanced Thai II (25 Lessons)
These advanced courses can be focused on speaking and listening, or reading and writing, or both.
Professional Speaking and Thai Conversation
Students will practice having conversations on a variety of topics including intensive discussion, business presentation, opinion and feeling expressions. It will be tailor-made for students to achieve their goals. Students will learn Thai advanced level words and phrases used in specific ways such as exclamations, complex conjunctions and prepositions, royal and buddhist words and phrases, and complex slang and idioms.
Thai Literature and Literate Culture
Thai cultural, traditional, and historical issues are taught via Thai language. Students will have a chance to experience some parts of well-known Thai literature, which generate many Thai proverbs and idioms. Thai lessons will give students insight of Thai culture, society and values especially in the past. Complex papers such as academic articles, research, agreements, and legal documents are used to increase the student’s reading skill capability. Students will learn and practice to write different kind of complex writing.
Learning Outcomes for Advanced Thai I and II (25 Lessons each)
- Students will practice having conversations on different topics for deeper discussion, business presentation and opinion expression.
- The lesson will provide special words and phrases used in specific ways such as exclamations, conjunctions and prepositions, royal/buddhist words and phrases, as well as complex slang and idioms.
- Learning language and culture are parallel. As you learn Thai culture, the logic of Thai language will become more apparent.
- The lessons will explain vital Thai history and interesting Thai traditions.
- Students will have a chance to enhance their experience into some parts of well-known Thai literature, which generate many Thai proverbs and idioms. Thai lesson will give students insight into Thai culture, society and values especially in the past.
- Students will read complex papers such as agreements, contracts, laws, etc.
- Students will gain knowledge of and practice writing complex papers such as drafting an agreements, contracts, or any documents related to business.
Thai Language Placement Test
All new students complete a Thai placement test to ascertain their appropriate study level. Of the four skills used in learning languages — speaking, listening, reading, and writing — any of the skills that have been employed more than others will be stronger than those used less. Therefore, courses are designed to fix the weak skills and enhance the strong ones at the same time.
For example, a student may be able to speak Thai fluently but has weak written Thai reading and writing skills. This student may choose between:
- Thai Language Foundations B, which prepares the student in reading and writing skills
- Intermediate Thai for listening and speaking skills
Our Thai lessons are taught by professional Thai teachers who speak English very well. All teachers are friendly and very supportive. If you have problems with any aspect Thai language outside the class, please feel free to contact us for any kind of support.